Fall harvest

I’m guessing that being diagnosed with cancer at any age can be scary, and being diagnosed as a single 34 year old woman certainly has its moments. In particular, I’ve had to think about some difficult questions, e.g. will lymphoma affect my ability to have children or meet that special someone?

Fortunately, via modern technology and a generous fertility clinic (PCRM in Vancouver), I can put the first question to rest (the second one is a bit more difficult). I’m currently pumped full of estrogen and my ovaries – the size of small grapefruits – are in overdrive to mature multiple eggs for retrieval or “harvest” on Thursday. I’m freezing my eggs!

While the process has been a bit of a whirlwind, I feel extremely grateful that egg freezing is an option prior to treatment. Taking this step provides an opportunity to decide if I want to have children one day, rather than lymphoma and treatment deciding for me. It also gives me a sense of control, during a time when so many things are uncertain and unknown.

I feel extremely blessed! Here’s hoping the fall harvest is abundant!

P.S. The harvest was extremely fruitful. 32 eggs harvested in all. For a sneak peak, take a look below!

cheryl1

29 Comments

1. Maja

studies show that positive disposition is key in the healing process. I am glad you think in terms of grace and blessing. While hard to understand, our faith says even an illness is a blessing – allows one to refocus one’s life, thinking, priorities -,towards what’s important. Keep the spirit. You are thought of and prayed for.

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Dear Maja, I couldn’t agree more. Cancer is an opportunity for me to do just that! Thank you for your love.

2. Simon Okello

Dear Dr. Cheryl,

I have and will always pray for you to see your dreams come true. I understand that this is a very difficult thing to admit, but also acknowledge that “yes” it is there. However, I am certain that not all is lost and the opportunity to recreate and have memorable impacts on this planet earth is still wide open. Things will work out all well!

Wish you Best

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thanks Simon. Wishing you all the best as well.

3. Christina

Your courage and heart are deeply illuminating.xo C

Dear Christina, Thank you for all that you are. XO. C

4. Elizabeth

Cheryl,
    You are so positive and strong. You have helped so many people ion your way, and I pray that you will continue to preserve .
    My mother in law had lymphoma and has been cancer free for over 10 years. My thoughts are with you through this journey.xo

From your fellow RIght to Play
    Liz xo

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thanks Liz! It is wonderful to have such an amazing network of support both near and far.

5. Vanessa

I love the painting! You are so strong and amazing. Love you!

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thanks Ness! I’ve been trying to get a bit more creative! Love you!

6. Angela Beebe

Cheryl you are amazing and I am so glad that you are doing this! The world needs more babies like you, sweet, caring, genuine, loving, intelligent…..I could go on on. You are loved by so many and as for meeting that someone special, well anyone lucky enough to win your heart one day will be one lucky person and I’m sure worth the wait! Sending love!

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thanks Angie. Thank you for your love and support! And with that lucky man, I too will be a lucky woman :)

7. Grace Jordan

Dearest Darling Cheryl,

I had no idea that this was what was happening in your life at the moment. Wow. And to read about it on a blog entitled Full of Grace brought me to tears. For me Grace means a lot of things. God in Action is my favourite. And I also think it can mean staying centred, and true whilst in the middle of a storm. I don’t know you well Cheryl but I feel that you embody both of these ideals both within and without. Bon Courage mon amie. And come for a visit sometime soon.

Love,
    Grace

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Dear Grace, thank you for your kind words!!!! I feel blessed to have you in my circle!

8. Richard "Olive Press" House

Hej Heykoop,

Sometimes in life you come across a person who challenges you. A person who challenges you with their intelligence, a person who challenges you with their humility, a person who makes you question your own place in the world and makes you wonder if you could perhaps change something in your own life to be a better you.

There are not many of those people around, they are quite difficult to spot if you are not open to them. For me, you are one of those people and I imagine I am not the only person who feels that way. I thoroughly enjoyed our chats and distinctly remember the day after (perhaps 2days) you came back from the london marathon and you could barely walk. I ran the stockholm marathon last year and you actually crossed my mind….

Greetings,
    From Sweden
    Richard

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Mr. House, so lovely to hear from you! I hope you are doing well. You certainly made a big impression in my life and heart!

9. Jim Maurice

Thank you for sharing your courage and positive outlook.

10. Lynda Laushway

Hi Cheryl,

Thank you so much for your courage in taking the step to write your BLOG post. Your experience on this journey will benefit many people. Lots of love to you.

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thank you Lynda for reading. Lots of love to you too!

11. Beth McKinlay

Cheryl,

I’m so sorry to hear that you’re going through this, but I am in awe of your strength and positivity. Know that are many people who are thinking of you.

Thank you Beth!

12. Dickon

Just like our favourite football team, you’ll never walk alone. For purely selfish reasons, thank you for doing this blog for purely unselfish reasons!

1. Cheryl (Post author)

I should be able to field to football teams with them all D :)

13. Tanya Mooney (Hay)

Love this blog you have created. You have always been such a special, lovely, sweet, fun, strong girl. Hope the Harvest is plentiful:)
    Will be thinking of you through this journey. Stay postive, stay strong. Hugs

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thank you Tanya! 32 eggs in total :)

14. jill

You are pretty special, my friend, and I am glad to know you.
    I’m definitely planning to be on the journey with you – maybe as some small but extremely useful tool packed away in your back pack!

1. Cheryl (Post author)

Thanks Jill! Those eggs are definitely a great tool to have in my backpack. Thank you for your gift of friendship!

15. Bruce Lund

Thank you Cheryl for sharing this experience so we can all send you love and mutually support you on the journey

16. Donna

You are a very strong, kind and caring individual. You will never be alone on this journey as we will be there for you in mind body and soul and if need be we will suffer or rejoice with you on this path you have been chosen for. all my hugs and kisses are with you each an every day
    luv aunt donna